
All About Eve - This was so good!!! I loved it. It was a lot of fun because there are twists and deceptions... it's pretty juicy. Bette Davis, the one with the big eyes, is just phenomenal in it. Even though she's spoiled, you still want to be like her, so poised and confident and strong. The movie is about a theater diva that meets an overzealous fan (Eve) and ends up taking her under her wing, but she's getting a lot more than a fan in Eve. Again, so good.

A Letter to Three Wives - This was also quite good. Joseph Mankowitz, the guy who wrote and directed this (as well as All About Eve) really gets women. I don't know how he did it, but he did. It's about three women who are friends that get a letter, addressed to all three of them saying that one of their husbands ran off with another woman. They know the woman but not the husband. You're kept pretty interested. Like a lot of older movies, there isn't any action, but that doesn't mean you're not glued to the TV.

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers - This is a musical so you know it's going to be fun. And it is. It doesn't deliver the depth and intrigue that the other two do, but it was entertaining enough for laundry folding. Besides it's kind of a classic, which makes it a must. Watch out for the voices of the actors when they sing, they catch you off guard. It's pretty much about seven brothers who need brides, so they go get them by unconventional means.

Surf's Up - Sadly this movie came at a time when Hollywood decided to focus a lot on zoo animals, namely the penguin. So it got bumped to the back. But don't worry, this is not at all like the socialist Happy Feet, with weird imitations of Elvis and Marilyn Monroe. This one is actually entertaining and leaves you with a desire to go surf instead of suicide. Brandon and I really liked it. The recording sessions were done differently so it sounds like the actors are actually talking with each other. Everyone does a great job, especially John Heder (yay Napoleon!) as Chicken Joe. There are cameos by Kelly Slater and Rob Machado (whose penguin also has puffy hair). It's pretty much the story of North Shore only with penguins, better actors, and less cheesy lines. So... an improvement all around. And I know this sounds weird, but for a second you forget that you're watching penguins surf and it actually feels like a surf movie. I love the Australian penguin. I would highly recommend this.
I've got a few more waiting for me, so I'll keep you posted!
2 comments:
Hi Nat
Thanks for your comment and appreciation of my photos. A lorry? Americans would call it a Truck. Any wiser now? :-)
Steve
I loved Surf's Up too. That's what we watched on my birthday. I'm saddened by your North Shore comment. I mean, really, how can you improve on perfection?
Post a Comment