Ithaca is the best. This place is like my city soulmate. Here is why:
1. Boobies! This place is a teenage boys dream. There are boobs and babies everywhere. People aren't shy about breastfeeding and the only nursing covers I've seen have been in church. I'm kind of sad Ellie isn't nursing anymore, now I have no good excuse to whip my boobs out.
2. So green! Ithaca really is an outdoor lover haven. I haven't loved the outdoors my whole life but I do now and especially in such a beautiful place. So green, so many waterfalls, so many places to hike. So fun.
3. Locavore nation. We've joined an organic vegetable co-op which means we pay a flat fee to get a share of vegetables grown here in Ithaca. Every Wednesday Ellie and I go out to the farm and pick up our fruits and vegetables and then we go out to the fields to pick flowers and herbs. The crops have just started to really kick in so we've been inundated with all sorts of yummy veggies. We've always been healthy eaters but our quality of eating has improved so much since we've joined the CSA. We recently ate at Arby's and felt like we were going to die. We went to the Farmer's Market the next day dying for fresh, just-picked veggies. We're so lucky to live in a city that values a short commute from farm to table.
4. Macro Mamas. These girls are a revelation. They sell macrobiotic dishes at the Farmer's Market and I have to say I'm addicted. It's like eating happiness. I'm seriously considering switching our diet. As soon as we eat all the meat that's in the freezer.
5. Pottery. The Pot Shop at Cornell (hehehe) has helped me discover my inner potter. I've always thought myself artistically inclined and pottery has really helped me get back in touch with that part of myself. I wish I had more time to go work in the studio but with Ellie and Brandon's schedule it's just not as feasible. Some people bring in their tiny babies but Ellie is just too big, I would fear for other people's pieces. Anyhoo, it really is my new favorite thing. Bowls for everyone!
These are just some of the reasons off the top of my head why I truly love living here. Don't be surprised to see me wearing a peasant skirt and dreadlocks next time you see me. I was just asking Brandon the other day how he thought I could get the hippie look down.
Brandon coming to Cornell was one of the best things to have happened to us. Yes, we are sad that our friends and families are far away and there aren't any In 'N' Outs (don't tell the Macro Mamas) but Ithaca has been such a great and inviting place to live that those burdens are lightened. I know the winter is going to be difficult but I look forward to all the new things we're going to discover as the seasons change.
Come visit!
6 comments:
love it. #1 made me scream with laughter especially. No one believes me at home about this.
Make me a bowl...a big decorative one. For my birthday of course.
BAHAHAHA!! I just love reading your posts! They always make me laugh. Loved number 1 and the organic "pick your own food" is sooo cool! I wish they had something like that here- but it;s too hot, i probably wouldn't go picking it myself anyways. To the hiippie emerging from inside you: watch "Food Inc." you will become that much more hippie and organic...plus it's interesting :)
I enjoyed your comment about whipping your boob out.... do you really a need for a good reason to do so. Can't wait to meet up with you guys. It sounds like you live in a beautiful area, and we can't wait to visit.
I didn't know you guys moved to Ithaca! I love it there, its so beautiful. (I grew up sort of nearby.) Glad you love it.
Post a Comment