Monday, July 6, 2009

Go Me!

Congratulating myself for no reason in particular is one of my favorite things to do. And what better day to do that than on your birthday?
I have to say that this birthday was one of my favorites ever. It started with a lazy morning of laying around and watching daytime TV (Brandon and I both took the day off - a tradition I think we should keep)followed by lunch at Cuatro Milpas (where does awesome Mexican food live? Why, the ghetto of course).

Then we went to the Wild Animal park where we scheduled a tour to feed animals. We were the only ones to sign up at that time so we had all the food to ourselves (meaning more one-on-one time with the animals) and the tour guide had all sorts of great stories to share. It was way awesome. Best birthday ever.

Sadly we forgot our camera so what you're seeing is from a disposable one. And unfortunately I'm too lazy to get the picture of me in front of Cuatro Milpas from Brandon's phone.


One of the first things we did was feed the geese. The food was actually for the ducks, but the geese were very persistent and eventually decided that only my jeans would do. It was really fun playing chicken with geese. I'll be damned if I let a goose intimidate me.


As soon as we got to the park Brandon made a beeline to the remote control boats. It was on our way to these that we encountered the geese. Brandon is a great boat driver, he event went through a tunnel in reverse. Which is actually what he did on a real boat this 4th of July weekend. Hmm... life imitating remote control things.


This is where the fun got started. Actually the fun had been going on for about an hour before we got to the rhinos. We got to see so many awesome animals living in harmony just doing their own quirky things. Like these african deer making broken dishwasher noises. And it was lambing season for the mountain sheep so we got to see lots a little lambs. It's just so amazing how many awesome creatures Heavenly Father made, each with a purpose and each with so many amazing qualities. I was ready to sign up for a conservation job at the park right then and there.


See my shoe on the lower left? That was to become this rhino's next snack. It didn't hurt or anything to have her chomping on it, but I felt a little picked on.


About a second after this picture was taken this giraffe licked me. Giraffes are the only mammals with black tongues. Not sure why their tongues need to be black, but whatever. They were so breath-taking. Sadly, I saw more than one disappointed giraffe because they weren't getting any food. We weren't allowed to feed them apples because they get drunk on them (interesting fact: apple alcohol is incredibly strong. most pubs won't sell it in England and it's what inmates make from their lunch apples). But it wouldn't have mattered because the gluttonous rhinos ate them all. Fatsos.

Here's to great birthdays with the people you love, with great food and appreciating the most basic and incredible creations this world has to offer,

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! that sounds like a lot of fun, I love animals, they are so cool. Hope you have a great rest of the day on your birthday!

Kristin said...

I am excited to see you too. I have the cutest baby gift for you too. And don't worry - it is not all pink. I loved our wedding pictures, but our photography was a MAJOR pain in the you know what to work with. I think it took her two months to get us our pics and then another year to get us the prints. RIDICULOUS!!! She wouldn't answer our calls or emails and we were very disappointed. Despite the great photos, I would NOT recommend her. She charged way to much and didn't live up to her cost. Can't wait to see you in just a few days. I know you are going to be just about the cutest pregnant lady ever.

Kristin said...

*I meant our photographer*