Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Ruff Life

Apparently the Obamas are going to unveil their new puppy today. It’s a Portuguese Water Dog. A breed that has been on Brandon’s mind for quite some time and that we spent time looking at last night, oohing and aahing (I know, we’re dog crazies). Brandon would love to have one, especially here because he could throw it in the water and perhaps even teach it to surf. I’m game, I’m sure Maggie would love a puppy that she could help raise. But I digress.

I was kind of shocked at the press that Bo, the new Obama puppy, is getting. The poor thing already has enemies because he’s not a mutt. Rescue groups are claiming that Obama reneged on his promise to get a pound puppy, and I’m sure breeders of other breeds are offended that Obama didn’t pick their breed. Calamity abounds in the dog world.

My question here is: who cares? A dog is getting a great home and that’s something to celebrate in any situation. We should be grateful that it didn’t come from a pet store (pet stores usually get their dogs from puppy mills, which are horrible places, and are not to be supported).

So I say, live and let die. Obamas: have fun with your energetic, hypoallergenic, doe-eyed, black and white, shaggy puppy.

Go Bo, go Bo go.

2 comments:

Ashley Seil Smith said...

Ditto. I saw about three coverages of it when I woke up this morning from the internet to the TV. So silly.

The Woodlands said...

I have Bo-mania too. There is no way that Matt would let me get a Bo of my own, but I agree with your comments on all counts. Especially the pet-store part. I HATE those places. You can tell how badly-treated the animals are by the AWFUL urine smell that permeats each and every pet store I have ever been to.
I love your love of the brand new White House Dog.