Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The Greatest Gift of All



Seeing how it’s the giving season I thought I’d share a story about the gift of giving.

Sitting in the front at work has its advantages and disadvantages. Mainly that I have to meet people I wouldn’t usually meet on the street. Advantage and disadvantage. Recently a guy came in from one of our messenger services (ask me how many messenger services a law firm employs…) donning a tweed jacket, a sweater-vest and a retro tie. Very sharp. While I summoned the person he had come to talk to, we got to talking and as it turns out we both share a deep passion for bacon.

“Have you heard of the bacon of the month club?” he inquired.
“Shut up! There’s a bacon of the month club?” I responded, with surprise and delight.
“Yeah, I heard about it somewhere, I wonder how much it costs.”
“Here, let me look it up,” I said.

By then the person he had come to speak with came, gave him her order and he had to depart.

“We’ll reconvene when I come back tomorrow.” He said.
“Yes, I’ll be ready with bacon info for ya.”

The sun set and rose again and Kyle, as it turns out his name is, came back to the office.

“The Grateful Palate has a bacon of the month club for $150 per year. That’s a whole case of bacon every month for only $150!” I spit out before he could greet me.
“I know! That’s not bad at all!” he responded matching my enthusiasm
“Although I don’t know what I would do with all that bacon…”
“Give some to me!” he said.
“What? Get your own case!” I responded playfully.

When he had finished his business he departed with polite and enthusiastic bacon good-bye.

About 45 minutes later Kyle came back with a big smile on his face.

“Hi!” I said, “Did you forget something?”
“No, we just went to breakfast and I wanted to give you this.”

Out from his pocket came a perfectly crisped piece of bacon in a plastic baggie.

“Just thought you’d like it.”
“Oh my gosh! This is the sweetest present anyone has thought to give me! Thank you so much!!!”
“No problem,” he said nonchalantly, “just thought you’d enjoy it.”
“I do! I will! Thank you!” I gushed.

When Kyle departed I carefully opened my baggie containing my bacon and considered that he is a better person than I. I would NEVER share bacon from my plate with anyone I was sitting with. Much less drive with it without attacking it at the first stop light. It’s not like I don’t like sharing, or the thought of sharing bacon displeases me, I just can’t think of a situation where I could realistically bring myself to do it. During this Holiday season we could learn a lot from Kyle’s giving example.



(Someone buy me Bacon of the Month club – www.gratefulpalate.com)

4 comments:

Melissa said...

nat that story makes me so happy! i'm glad there are gnarly people in the world who are still willing to share their bacon.

Anne said...

I think he digs you.

mimi said...

dude, he was flirting! YOU were flirting! how come i won't be surprised when he comes back to visit? it would be such a cool story to tell later of how you met.

The Woodlands said...

Married people flirting is funny...
OH! I have an idea! I think all of us *commenters* should band together and get Nat this bacon of the month club membership IMMEDIATELY. No one deserves it more. Any takers?? I got $5 on it!