Friday, July 25, 2008

Healthy Stuff, Part Un

I've been trying to cook very healthy and have found it rewarding and yummy. Through my adventures I've found that all it takes is to make everything yourself. Easier said than done, you say? Well, true, but with a little planning ahead it's not that hard.

The trick I've found is to not buy anything that is pre-pepared. When things are already made for you the sodium and MSG contents are through the roof becuase it's how the flavor is kept. You just have to be disciplined enough to be your own sous chef in the morning. Sometimes it's really tiring but sometimes you have an accident that turns out real nice.

DipSoup
This was a total accident, and like an idiot I forgot to take a picture. What happened was I made garlicky white bean dip, which goes like this:
1. Get northern white beans, stick them in a food processor and and a little olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, salt/pepper and a ton of garlic.

The problem here origniated with my happy pouring of the olive oil and lemon which made the dip way too runny so then I added more beans and it didn't help at all, it just made more dip. So I was left with runny dip. And hating to waste anything I turned it into soup.

I added yellow crook neck squash, chicken stock and let it cook down and added more chicken stock and it was great. We ate it with vegetarian paninis.

Vegetarian Paninis
1. Grill a bunch of your favorite grill-able vegetables, spread some pesto (I made chimichurri)on some bread.
2. Put vegetables in said bread.
3. Eat.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Okay, I just ate a twix bar and then read your post... there is now a lump in my stomach that may or may not have more to do with guilt than candy...

and i am more than up for your command to get together. i miss your guts like mad.