Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Love and Donuts in Cardiff



This is something that happened a few Saturdays ago.

Brandon was coming home on the train from Balboa Island (Newport Beach) where he spent his Saturday because I needed to work. That day after I picked him up from the train station we went to eat an early dinner of fish 'n' chips and then went to VG's with Maggie. I was really tired ad decided to stay in the car with Maggie while Brandon went in to get the donuts.
"I want the fluffy kind with chocolate glaze," I said, "or yellow cake with with chocolate glaze. No chocolate on chocolate."
"Ok," he replied as he was stepping out of the car.
"And a little thing of milk!" I called after him.
Five minutes later Brandon came back with a box of three donuts. One old-fashioned with regular glaze, one yellow-cake with chocolate and rainbow sprinkles, and one old-fashioned with chocolate glaze - no sprinkles.
"But I don't want sprinkles," I whined.
"The old fashioned is a version of yellow-cake, has chocolate but isn't chocolate on chocolate and it has no sprinkles," he replied.
"Ok," I said, placated.
We were sitting in the parking lot of VG's. The crashing of the waves across the street, in the not too distant distance. Maggie was in the back. Relaxing into the back seat, fighting the urge to shut her eyes and sink into the seat. We sat in silence methodically eating our donuts, drinking our milk, trying not to spill crumbs. The sound of people laughing twinkled behind us. I turned to look at Brandon chugging his tiny carton of 2% and then as I turned to look out towards the Toyota Tacoma parked in front of us, I smiled.
"Whatcha thinking?" he asked. Our favorite question to ask each other.
"Not much," I shrugged, "Just that this moment right here is perfect."
He leaned back contentedly and said, "Yeah, it is."

6 comments:

The Andrews said...

Oh, you two are so cute! I love your writing style Nat it is simple and fun! I am now craving donuts.

Anne said...

Is this the beginning to your book?

Melissa @ Bookmark Dragon said...

oh for cute.

Nat said...

for wicked cute

The Woodlands said...

I love it!
I had the pleasure of living walking-distance from VG's for 2 whole years in my past life...I think anything is practically perfect with VG's.

Ryan said...

VG's. . . ah. I used to go there as a kid with my dad; still has the best maple bars on the planet...ummm.