
Foreword: Everyone got shop at Henry's. It's cheaper, better quality and you find more of the things you actually want to eat. And yes, it's smaller than a regular grocery store, but I've never felt the need to browse the Chef Boyardee aisle at Vons.
That being said let me share with you my new fish thing. I went to Henry's, my store of choice and bought two Tilapia fillets (very popular in Mexican cooking) for 3 bucks. Amazing? Yes. Then came the decision as to how they should be consumed. In ceviche, tacos, or in a buttery white wine sauce, the options were endless. Luckily for me, my Splendid Table weekly email series entitled, "Weeknight Kitchen," (subscribe to it at splendidtable.org) came the same day as the fish conundrum. In it Lynn Rosetto Kasper had sent a recipe for the way real Italians eat real fish. As opposed to someone with just dark hair eating fish sticks.
It goes something like this:
4 garlic cloves, crushed
8 branches parsley, chopped
1/4 tsp. salt, salty
water
fish, any white fish
1. Combine, parsley, garlic, salt and water in a kinda shallow pan. Water should be about 2 inches deep. Boil for 5 min.
2. Slide fish in pan and cook about 8-10min/inch. Make sure fish is opaque and flaky.
Tadah! You, my friend, have just made fabulous light fishy fish.
Serve with lemon wedges, extra parsley, really yummy olive oil, salt and pepper. Encourage those you are eating with to dress their own fish to taste.
This recipe is fabulous if you like fish. It's fresh, light and really let's the fish speak for itself. Buy super fresh fish so it's even better. Those of you who live in San Diego, try Pescadero's Fish Market. Those of you who don't I don't know what to tell you.
2 comments:
mmm i will get right on that! We are always looking for new fish recipes since Mr. Larsen can't eat chicken...sigh...I'll email you one I made the other day, surprisingly delicious (and I don't even like tomatoes!)
K it was too hard to email (what?) so here's the link http://www.mccormick.com/recipedetail.cfm?id=12804
Happy eating!
Post a Comment