Sunday, March 2, 2008

Micky D's


Every so often I forget my culinary adventures and convince Brandon to take me to McDonald's. You see when I was younger and we were poor McDonald's was a HUGE treat. Proving the old adage that "You can take the girl out of the 'hood, but you can't take the 'hood out of the girl." Sigh.

In any case, you know that you're no longer in the 'hood when the McDonald's you're going to has the word "Bistro" attached to it's name. Oh, Del Mar.

When you walk in you immediately notice that you're not in Kansas anymore. There are chandeliers on the ceiling, padded (or seemingly padded) walls, and pleather chairs. There's even a fountain. They also have options like "freshly cut linguini with marinara sauce and meatballs." There are two counters, the bistro counter and the McDonald's counter. Brandon, hating the burgers there went straight for the pasta. Call me crazy, but when McDonald's can't even get a simple burger right (please don't question why I like it there so much. It's an emotional thing), then what makes us think that pasta would be any good? I had my doubts so I ordered a burger. And I was right. The pasta sucked.

Nonetheless we were treated to a uniquely cultural experience of rich people (with the exception of Brandon and I)eating crappy food, amidst nouvo-riche-like decorations. It was all very Gatsby. Final word: Don't eat at McDonald's Bistro.

4 comments:

Joselyn said...

I hear you loud and clear! I can't tell you how long it's been since we went to any fast food chain, however no semi-padded walls with pleather chairs would draw us in. Brave as you may be, I love the warning to stay away from the McDonald's Bistro of Del Mar-"where poor people in Del Mar can still dine richly-sort of".

Tiffany said...

You are hilarious! Note to self- McDonald Bistro bad

Sarah Larsen said...

hahahahha that is incredible. Secret: I love McDonalds.

The Woodlands said...

I used to live right by that place...what is that ABOUT??
Are rich people so worried about coming off poor that they have stooped to the desperate level of disguising their Mickey D's as a Steak House?? I miss the bright yellow and garish red of my favorite burger-toting clown...BRING BACK RONALD!!!
Great post, Nat!