Monday, August 23, 2010

Lazy Montreal

I've been so lazy about blogging recently because I'm having a hard time with original thoughts. I think it's all the 3o Rock. I probably should cut down. Also, I've been wanting to go back to my blogging roots and blog more about food. I certainly cook enough, I'm just too lazy to upload pictures. Luckily for all of us we just got back from Montreal and that is going to have to take up space in the blogosphere. Before the pictures here's a survey of Montreal:

Sucky things Quebec got from the French:
1. Snootiness: There were some people at a table next to us that saw that we were American and were being snooty to our faces, not knowing the whole time that Brandon speaks french. I wouldn't have minded so much if we weren't being snootied during a really terrible meal, I was already in a bad mood.
2. Smoking: It felt like Vegas. I hate smoking with my whole soul. It's disgusting and horrible for you and others and is just the worst. Ugh.
3.Striking: I usually support people's right to strike but it just sucked that it interfered with our tourism plans and thus we couldn't go to the Biodome or the Insectorium. No Insectorium!

Cool Things Quebec got from the French:
1. French Food: Our last night there we got killer French food. Again, drool...
2.Delicious Pastries: I could eat Pain au Chocolate all day long.
3.Marches: Great cheese, flour, meats, produce - could you ask for more?

I put lipstick on Ellie on the drive up. It was really funny, she looks like a baby dinosaur.
Blame Canada!
Eating a delicious lunch of bagel sandwiches and jus d'orange at the Canadian Center of Architecture. Sorry New York, but Montreal bagels win.

I think because I see Brandon every day I forget how tall he is, but he really is.

A chapel at the Notre Dame
Killer stained-glass window
Celine Dion got married at this Notre Dame so get excited. It's actually amazing in here, every square in is decorated, just insane.
Ellie and Brandon at Olive et Gourmand's. Best trout sandwich ever. Drool....
Trying to hustle to the metro.

Canada's past at the Archeology Museum, these are the foundations from three different time periods.
At the top of the Tour.

Ellie getting ready in the morning.
Ellie not so sure about the poutine. I liked it.
Our driving snack on our way home - fresh from Marche Atwater.
A rare occurrence that bought us a few extra hours outside.
A blurry view of the Thousand Island area. Holy crap, that place is amazing. That's our next vacation spot.
I sheared Maggie just because it was time and now when she's super quiet she startles me because she looks like a giant rat.

All in all Montreal was really fun. We had to be in the hotel room twice a day for Ellie's nap but it was kind of nice, we were all rested and relaxed and were really able to enjoy our time outside. Brandon was excited because he got to practice his French and someone even thought he was Canadian. I even got to throw in my two French cents.

6 comments:

Melissa said...

I'm very sorry you had to miss the Insectorium. But it still looks like a gnarly trip!

Ashley Bybee Stepp said...

Wow! That cathedral alone makes me want to go visit Quebec... Really good pictures!

Kristin said...

So fun. Yay for family vacations. Ellie is do darn cute. And Brandon is tall.

Anonymous said...

love it.
you really need to go to PEI (prince edward island) to see all the anne of green gables goodness.

Anne said...

Ok, first of all, Brandon isn't THAT tall. It's not like he's Heath. That door is just abnormally small. Also, poor Ellie with that black eye. Your lack of explanation for it would be suspicious if I didn't know what really happened. And last of all, no skype in a whole month. Boo. That shall be remedied immediately.

Anonymous said...

that looks really cool! i'll admit, i had no idea where Montreal was and was highly confused about the people speaking French. Fortuantely you later wrote that it was in Canada. Didn't know your blog was educational did ya? :)