Thursday, September 11, 2008

September 11, 2001


I love being Mexican, it runs in my blood and I am proud of my heritage. However, I am also very much American. The US has adopted me and I it, and I like it, it's cozy here.

For that very reason today is a hard day. When I get to work I usually listen to NPR but I just couldn't make myself choose to hear the stories about 9/11. It's still hard to think about that day and the aftermath. It's hard to think about what the people on the plane were feeling, what they said to their families on those phone calls. It's hard to think about thousands lost. Fire fighters and policemen and women that answered the call with no thought of self. Friends and family (including ours) accross the country paralyzed with fear for our loved ones as we saw those towers fall.

The days to follow were also hard. A whole country confuzed about how this could happen and what we were supposed to do with our grief. Struggling to make sense of such atrocities. This was not the first horrific thing the world had seen, but it had certainly been a long time for the US.

But as with everything there is a silver lining. Courage sprang up where it had been laying dormant. The new battle cry of the republic became, "Let's roll," as said by a group of passengers that refused to let the plane they were on do any harm and diverted it to a Pennsylvania field. An outpouring of love and support for victims and families and renewed patriotism showed the terrorists that they had not succeded, America would simply rebuild. There was unification. After the tears dried, there was hope. Their plans had failed, America rallied together with chins up and flags waving high collectively saying, "Screw you terrorists."

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Is one of your life goals still to write a book? If so, you should include this post in it. Well done, yo.

Anne said...

Yeah, screw you terrorists.