Monday, December 5, 2011

Adventures in Anger Management: Episode 2 - Wrath at the Sacred Grove

So last month our Branch went on a temple trip. Babysitting was organized* though not as well organized as I would have liked since I was never able to find it. I drove about an hour and a half to get to the temple on time only to have my morning kinda ruined by what turned out to be an email I never got explaining where the babysitting was going to be. I spent about 15 minutes looking for the babysitting site and never found it, all the people I would have called were already inside with their phones off. I was forced to miss the temple session.

Let me just pause and say that things like this happen and I understand, I really really do. My name must have been missed on the email list explaining the babysitting situation, accidents happen, and its ok. But the "me" in Palmyra, NY at 11:00 am on November 19 with Ellie in her arms, was fit to enter a cage match. And win.

Fortunately, Palmyra, NY is where Joseph Smith is from and thus where our church originated. There are a lot of church historical sites in little Palmyra. Down the street from the Temple is Joseph's boyhood home and the woods where he received his first vision of God and Christ. We call those woods the Sacred Grove.

I say "fortunately," because if I wasn't going to be in the temple which is God's house, then the next best thing was to be in the woods where He appeared. So Ellie and I made our way to the Sacred Grove in other to find some of calm and peace. And guess what? We did find it.
But not before I shattered the buckle of my diaper bag in a small fit of rage.

I don't know if you can really tell from the picture but one of the buckles is missing and without it I can't really wear it. It went from being a diaper bag to being a diaper clutch. It takes a parent to understand the relationship between you and your diaper bag. Diaper Dude really does make the best diaper bags and I was head-over-heels for mine.

Enter rage. Once we had arrived at the Sacred Grove site, I was pulling Ellie out of her car seat while still fuming. I failed to notice that my diaper bag was sitting on the floor of the car with its buckle sitting on the exact spot where the door was going to close. Well... I won't describe exactly what happened next (don't worry, Ellie was unharmed) but in the end I did not gingerly shut the car door. And thus I was left perfect-diaper-bag-less.

I was sad until I realized this was an opportunity to buy this batch of awesomeness:
The best part is that it's a Diaper Dude bag. So it's the same bag I had before, just slathered in cool-sauce. It came out earlier this year, but I couldn't justify buying it until now.

Maybe a little anger is a good thing?

Stay tuned for more Adventures in Anger Management!!!
Next episode: Swearing with your Toddler





*For those of you who aren't LDS, kids aren't allowed in the temple most of the time, for lost of reasons but I suspect mainly as a way of keeping the noise level down. Plus they'd just get bored in there.


2 comments:

Melissa said...

I knew I was going to like this post the second I read the title. That bag is pretty awesome. Do you have to be a mom to own it?

Ashley Bybee Stepp said...

I am busting up laughing at the last two posts! SO FUNNY! And, I was wondering why you had a new bag a couple of Sunday's ago... I think it is awesome!