Thursday, August 20, 2009

Nothing More Than Feelings

Here are a few pointers of how to talk about your feelings with your husband.

1. Make sure you're on the same page.
B: Hey, what's this thing from Old Navy on the card? Did you go there recently?
N: No, I returned something online, that should be a credit, not a debit.
B: Oh yeah here it is.
N: Screw you.
B: Sorry, I wasn't saying you can't buy stuff, I was just wondering what that charge was about.
N: Oh, no, the screw you was for something else.

2. Don't attack unnecessarily.
B: Was the "screw you" necessary?
N: Well, no, but I thought I would make my point better that way.
B: Ok, so not ok. What did you want to talk about?


3. Don't jump to hasty conclusions
N: Do you hate me and your unborn child?
B: No...
N: Well then I'm going to continue buying iron supplements (side note: pregnancy has made me anemic)
B: Ok, that's fine. All I said was that they were really expensive, could we try something else?

4. Be flexible.
N: No! That supplement is really effective and it absorbs very well and it's what the midwives recommended.
B: Ok, fine. Keep buying them.


5. Don't beat a dead horse.
N: Besides, iron rich foods aren't enough and my prenatal vitamins don't have enough iron in them apparently.
B: Ok, fine. Keep buying them.
N: This is your child! How dare you.
B: Ok, fine. Keep buying them.


6. Know when to quit.
N: Ok.
B: Ok.
N: Good. Moving on.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to take iron pills too...I'm taking 3 different pills for this child- she's going to be some genius lol ;)

Melissa said...

Nat you kill me. The conversations you post on here are so incredibly awesome, it makes me miss you all over again. I was so happy to see you at the wedding! Thanks again for coming!! And sorry we didn't get together over the honeymoon. It WAS a honeymoon... I know that's no excuse, but you only get to honeymoon once. Well, hopefully.

anthony said...

so i decided to check my Google Reader because i'm bored at work and avoiding working on my dissertation during my allotted dissertation hour and this post was hilarious. i tried to picture in my head the interaction of you two. where was your dog in all of this? we miss you guys! come move to Portland!!!

Kristin said...

Are you a mom yet? ;) Well, I hope not yet, but I am getting excited for you! Love you and miss you. It was so good to see you at the wedding. I forgot how much you make me laugh. You crack me up.