Friday, October 24, 2008

Friends?

I feel as if my previous post is going to cost me some friends, which makes me sad, and I hope I'm wrong.

I've been thinking a lot about what I've written and I have to say that I'm sticking to my guns. There comes a time when you have to pick a side. I have picked mine. You may think me archaic, old-fashioned, and a right-wing nut-job. I hardly consider myself all these things, but there you go. I respect if people have picked the side opposing mine.

It's hard to be religious in a world where religion just seems so old-fashioned. And sometimes it's hard for people to accept that the rest of us don't have to automatically love everything others do. Sometimes things just don't jive, blame my religion, blame my gut, whatever, I'm not going to apologize for what I believe.

In essence, I just hope that we can continue living in a country where both points of view are accepted. If my side loses, then I'll move on with my life, and if my side wins, then I'll be happy and I'll move on with my life.

6 comments:

mimi said...

agree to disagree? but i got the latin fire ready to rumble! well i guess cause you're my cuz, i won't hold it against you. but i really do think i make a good point! please let what i said marinate for the next week before you dig your heels into the ground!

archie p. said...

natty poo, our friendship would never be in danger over politics?! i love you even if i fundamentally disagree with you. hell, i've had people i still call friends call me a baby killer because i am fiercely pro-choice. i'm not going to let this get between us - i hope you don't either.

that said...i do wish that you actually engaged with my arguments against yours...i mean i would like to understand where you are coming from, and i feel like both of us would benefit from debate. its up to you though...i always find that understanding all sides of an issue helps me figure out where i am regardless of where i think i stand. or we could just drop it and move on.

i love you and i hope we can keep our phone date next week.

archie p. said...

oh and also, i feel that i have to clarify...i wasn't calling you a right-wing nut job...i would hardly consider you right-wing or crazy, which was why i was surprised that you posted that video. that's all. thats why i felt the need to comment and understand where this was coming from.

no pressure though, i don't want you to feel cornered or anything.

Anne said...

I am interested in this issue, even though I don't live in California. I can see both sides, but I really think we should be better about tolerance of other cultures (or even of differing opinions) before we breech the sexual-orientation issue. We need to have a better tolerance base before we try to tackle this. I do think there is a way to teach tolerance of differing sexual orientation...I'm just not sure what it is.
As a school teacher, I've noticed that we think we teach such great diversity because we spend 5 minutes in December explaining Kwanzaa and Chanukah. Honestly, I think we need spend a lot more time helping kids learn about world cultures (especially the Middle East...I've seen such hate towards that area lately). Did we learn nothing from WWII?
I think that differing opinions on this issue is a true test of tolerance.
Sorry if I'm offensive. It's just a really tough issue.

Melissa said...

nat, agree or disagree, i heart you.

and i do agree with you on this one, by the way. =D

Ashley Seil Smith said...

natalia - i had to think about this issue a lot before understanding it, probably just like you. i have gay friends, i really love people, and i just want everyone to be happy and to be able to pursue the things that make them happy. so it's hard for me to say that i don't agree with gay marriage, and i think it gets even harder when people know you are LDS and that the LDS religion does not agree with gay marriage. we know, after going through the temple and learning our church doctrine, that man+man just isn't the right equation, that this isn't what creates families, which is one of God's ultimate gifts (and hopes) for His children.

and it is SO hard to help people understand why we believe what we do. if i were a member of any other faith I might have a harder time backing up my decision to be against gay marriage, but being part of the LDS Church makes me understand better why a male and a female are so central to God's plan. And Heaven forbid God have a plan for us, right? Heaven forbid we talk about religion guiding morals anymore...