Thursday, May 29, 2008

Before I forget

Before I forget, I made up a great soup. Sort of.
Soup is my favorite creative medium - I think because it's so forgiving. And also, I must give credit to Jane and Michael Stern from the Road Food column in Gourmet Magazine. Jane and Michael are regulars on my favorite radio show, Splendid Table, and they were talking about the different types of clam chowder in the country and they mentioned a clear clam chowder, although I forget where that one is from. And as a plus it's virtually fat-free for those of you who care.
Here's my version:

Clear Clam Chowder
Serves 5-6ish

3-4 medium sized potatoes, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
3/4 of an onion, chopped
1 can of clams, drained
4 cups of chicken stock
about 1 tblsp of rosemary
about 4 tblsp of red wine vinegar
two cloves garlic, minced
chopped parsley
salt and pepper to taste

1. heat up a stock pot and put some oil in there (i like olive oil) then put all veggies and garlic in there and let them sweat. about 10 min, stirring often so nothing sticks.
2. add clams rosemary and vinegar. cook a little more and stir frequently.
3. add chicken broth and stir so you get any little brown bits from bottom of pan. let simmer on med. low for about 30 min.
4. add salt and pepper to taste, or more herbs if you want and let simmer just a bit longer.
5. take of heat and add chopped parsley as you're plating. Serve with yummy french bread. I don't think sourdough will work with this because of the vinegar.

This is ten times better if you just wait to eat it the next day.

1 comment: